St Michael’s Preparatory School is a Christian foundation providing education for children from the ages of three to fourteen. The school is divided into four areas:
Children can enter the Nursery either the half term/term following their third birthday.
Welcomes children in the September following their fourth birthday and consists of Reception, Year 1 and Year 2.
This consists of children in Year 3 and Year 4 and is the last two years when children are ‘classed based’ ie taught by the same teacher for all their lessons except music and PE, when they are taught by specialist teachers.
These are all the children from Year 5 to Year 8 and are taught entirely by subject specialists. Children can stay on for a ‘bridging-year’ (Shell) in preparation for entering the States sector.
The Headmaster is a member of the Independent Association of Preparatory Schools (IAPS).
The school’s buildings, which are an attractive blend of the traditional and the purpose-built, enjoy open, rural surroundings and together with its extensive playing fields and hard-court areas, give a feeling of space as well as convenient compactness.
St Michael’s Preparatory School was opened for boys aged 6 to 13 1/2 in October 1949 at No 4 Balmoral Terrace in St Helier Jersey. The Pre-Prep Department was added in January 1951 and in 1952 the current property was secured and the school moved to St Saviour.
In December 1965 the school was acquired by the Carnegie family who contributed to making the school the success it is today, building additional classrooms to accommodate increasing pupil numbers and renting sports fields.
In 1968 the first girls were accepted and in 1974 a Charitable Trust was formed to run the school.
John Carnegie retired as Headmaster in 1990 and Richard de Figueiredo, a former pupil, was appointed. In response to the declining popularity of boarding the unit closed and in 1992 the Nursery was established in its place.
The Sports Hall was constructed and opened in 1994 and the main school was purchased from the Carnegie family in 1998. A new Trust was established in 2002 and, under new governance, the adjoining property and several surrounding fields were acquired to accommodate ever increasing numbers.
Since then the school has continued to increase and improve facilities reflecting the academic, sporting and musical success of its 300+ pupils.
Some notable past pupils include the retired Bailiff, Sir Philip Bailhache, the retired Bailiff, Sir Michael Birt, the Deputy Bailiff William Bailhache, Henry Cavill (Superman) and Fraser Waters an ex-England International rugby player.