St Michael’s Preparatory School was opened for boys aged 6 to 13 1/2 in October 1949 at No 4 Balmoral Terrace in St Helier Jersey. The Pre-Prep Department was added in January 1951 and in 1952 the current property was secured and the school moved to St Saviour.
In December 1965 the school was acquired by the Carnegie family who contributed to making the school the success it is today, building additional classrooms to accommodate increasing pupil numbers and renting sports fields.
In 1968 the first girls were accepted and in 1974 a Charitable Trust was formed to run the school.
John Carnegie retired as Headmaster in 1990 and Richard de Figueiredo, a former pupil, was appointed. In response to the declining popularity of boarding the unit closed and in 1992 the Nursery was established in its place.
The Sports Hall was constructed and opened in 1994 and the main school was purchased from the Carnegie family in 1998. A new Trust was established in 2002 and, under new governance, the adjoining property and several surrounding fields were acquired to accommodate ever increasing numbers.
Since then the school has continued to increase and improve facilities reflecting the academic, sporting and musical success of its 330+ pupils.
Some notable past pupils include the retired Bailiff, Sir Philip Bailhache, the current Bailiff, Sir Michael Birt, the Deputy Bailiff William Bailhache, Henry Cavill, the new Superman, and Fraser Waters an ex-England International rugby player.